Monday, August 27, 2012

learning to live in the moment

There's something to be said for living in the moment and holding memories personal. Being a (semi) blogger and the result of the technology generation, I have a tendency to overindulge in my life. Did I do something cool today? Why not post those photos on Facebook! I've yet to get a smart phone to be able to use Instagram, but I am sure I would use that app so much if it was available to me.

I bring this up because I had the opportunity to do two things I had never really done before, and disappointingly forgot to bring my camera to document both the events. The first was kayaking with Erik in lovely Lake Natomas. This lake is about 40 minutes away from where we live, and since Sac State has an aquatic center there, kayak rentals are somewhat cheap. There are wetlands and marsh channels you can paddle through, with bulrushes and blackberries and turtles around. It was a beautiful day made better by fresh peaches bought off the side of the road and the first tastes of 5 Guys burgers. The other was yesterday, going boating with friends at Lake Berryessa. It was my first time being out on the lake I had worked at all summer, being on a boat in a lake, swimming in a large body of water, and tubing! Lots of firsts. We were out there for 5 hours, swimming and wakeboarding and hanging out.


What is the point of all this? My narcissistic self-indulgent self is still slapping myself for not being able to get pictures out of these adventurous and happy moments, not only for bragging rights but for my fading memory. But more than that, this summer has been about trying new things, being closer to the outdoors, and  taking risks. And the comforting thing is that these things will happen again, and there will be plenty of photo opportunities for the future, but it should be enough to know that I had these incredible opportunities without needing to show them off.

I suppose that's something I need to think about and work on, is living in the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...